Prefer to listen to this post?
A few people I know went to a one day event at the weekend and had a great time. After looking at the schedule and seeing that the first class was a 60/70cm class, I have decided to really push me and Scottie and if there is a similar height class at the next one in early October, we will be there!
We have 6-7 months to prepare for this goal and I think we will need all of it! Where we are now I would estimate that we would get 1-2 refusals in the show jumping and possibly get eliminated in the cross country! So we really need to work on that!
The competition I am aiming at is at the same venue we are going to camp in June, so hopefully Scottie will have jumped most of the cross country jumps and they shouldn’t be too much of an issue… but it is Scottie so who knows!
Our dressage is really improving with Scottie really starting to show some stretch in the canter, so I’m not too worried about the dressage phase, it is just our jumping! So over the next few months I am going to book a couple of jumping lessons at home and try and get out to a few local jumping shows, just so Scottie can see some jumps!
I will also start looking at cross country clinics and course hires to go out and have a go. Because I know that the reasons we have refusals is 1) Scottie is a big baby and needs to look at new things before he can be expected to jump them and 2) I don’t ride forwards enough to convince him that he doesn’t need to stop and look. So we just need to go out and get some practice!
I will keep you up to date with my potentially over ambitious goal and how well we are working towards it!
Last Updated on 07/08/2018