Prefer to listen to this post?
Yesterday we had the vet back out as Scottie just doesn’t seem able to completely shake his lameness. He has improved and continues to improve. But he keeps lapsing and going slightly lame again and I just can’t work out a pattern to it. It doesn’t seem to matter if he is in or out, rested or worked. The lameness just keeps cropping back up randomly.
So when the vet arrived yesterday we hoped to be able to investigate it a bit further. However, typically Scottie had one of his sound days yesterday. This was a bit frustrating as I had been hoping to nerve block further but oh well!
The vet said there were still plenty of choices available to us! We could:
- Carry on as we are
- Carry on as we are with bute
- Change the shoes, possibly adding pads
- Change the shoes, with bute
- Try steroid injections or similar treatments into areas of the foot we think are most likely the cause
- Wait and see if we can nerve block him another time
- MRI scan to have a better idea of what the issue is and treat accordingly.
Now I have been saying for quite a while now that I want to get to the bottom of what is going on. So the MRI scan was an easy choice for me to make! I checked with my insurance company and they have said that it would be covered and they don’t need any further investigations first.
So we are now in the process of getting a date arranged and working out how the hell I am going to get Scottie there! My vets doesn’t have a MRI machine so he will need to go a little further afield. But it’s good to know that we are finally getting to the bottom of the issue and fingers crossed we will be back on our way soon.
Last Updated on 09/01/2019